Designing at an Africreate Labs venture means designing products from their starting point. You will be involved in the entire design+build process, from early research and product strategy, to reviewing your designs on staging and polishing your pixels. The work is highly cross-functional and will require you to collaborate closely with engineering, product, design, and future hires. We are looking for designers who are passionate about solving problems and telling product stories, and that have experience working across interaction, UI, and visual design.
- Design and develop low-fidelity wireframes, working prototypes, and high-fidelity visual designs across multiple media
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product management and engineering to ensure a smooth, research-driven product development process
- Guide the team to develop best practices for ensuring a high caliber of quality
- Contribute to high-level strategic decisions with the rest of the product and executive teams
- Execute in a fast-paced and highly fluid startup environment where thought and initiative are valued
- Establish and update brand visuals and guidelines for all onsite editorial and offsite materials
- Passion for creating simple products that bring joy and improve people’s lives
- Humble, hard-working, with an enthusiasm for learning
- An exceptional portfolio of shipped creative product design that showcases your visual and interaction design talents.
- Experience with high-level product strategy – meaning you can discuss the why, not just the what or the how.
- Ability to empathize with different kinds of users
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills
- Proficient in Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, or other design tools
- Commitment to building a company from a very early stage.
- A passion for solving complex interaction problems with real-world constraints
- Ability to self-manage multiple projects, deadlines and deliverables
- Excellent communication skills and ability to collaborate with major stakeholders throughout the design process
- Experience working for an engineering-driven company and/or startup
- Experience using prototyping tools such as Flinto, InVision, Pixate, FramerJS, etc.
- Experience using UX research to help inform product decisions.
- Experience with branding and marketing
- Obsession with typography; having a set of favorite fonts along with defensible rationale